Dried cranberries are made by partially dehydrating fresh cranberries, similar to making raisins. Dried Cranberries are popularly used in trail mix and cereals, or eaten as is for their nutritional benefits and in between meal hunger.
How dried Cranberries are made?
- Soak cranberries overnight in sugar syrup or maple syrup
- Next morning spread the berries on a tray lined with baking sheet
- Place the tray in the oven at the lowest possible temperature
- Let the berries dry for about 8-10 hours in the oven.
How many dried cranberries can we eat in a day?
You can have a maximum of 1 serving of dried cranberries in a day, which equals a quarter cup of dried berries.
Benefits of dried Cranberries
- Cranberries are rich in antioxidants and thus help prevent age related degeneration
- Cranberries are popularly used to treat Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- Cranberries contain polyphenols which help to protect the cardio vascular system
- Cranberries aid weight loss when used to satiate in-between meal hunger.
- Cranberries contain vitamins that are beneficial for general health.
Dried cranberries nutrition
A quarter-cup of dried fruit contains 92 calories, nil fat, 25 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fibre, 22 grams of sugar and 2 milligrams of sodium.
Dried vs fresh cranberries
Dried Cranberries when compared to fresh cranberries may fall short of some nutrients considering that the drying process may deplete some of the goodness such as:
- Fresh cranberries have higher protein value
- Fresh Cranberries have lees sugar in them
- Fresh Cranberries have more fibre
Dried cranberries for Skin
- Dried Cranberries contain certain antioxidants which are beneficial as anti-inflammatory, anti-allergens and hence are helpful in treating acne, scars, dark spots etc. They impart a youthful glow to the skin when included in regular diet.
Dried cranberries for Weight-loss
- Fresh Cranberries are more helpful in weight loss than the dried ones as Dried Cranberries contain added sugar.
Potassium rich Dried Cranberries
Dried cranberries are rich in potassium, so 1/2-cup portion of dried cranberries adds about 15 milligrams of potassium to your diet. Potassium is a type of electrolyte mineral that aids the heart beating and muscle contraction. For this reason including dried cranberries into your daily diet will help to regulate Blood Pressure and aid good cardiovascular activity in the body.